Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Schoolhouse Tunic - part one

I said before that I have been wanting to make myself some new clothes... well, I am finally getting around to something that has been sitting on my project list for awhile.

The Schoolhouse Tunic from Sew Liberated...
Cute huh?  I think so too... bought this pattern sometime last year and am just now getting around to making it for myself.  That's how it usually goes though...


After going back and forth a few times about what kind of fabric I wanted to use, I finally settled on some nice black/gray linen.  I found it at JoAnn's for $14.99 a yard and had a 50% off coupon - total I spent around $18 for the fabric (not too bad for the nice quality stuff I got).  I actually kept trying to decide between the fabric that I ended up with vs. a linen almost exactly like the one that was on the model for the pattern... too funny :)

I started tracing the pattern pieces on to transfer paper some time last week, in hopes that I could have stitched this up over the past weekend - which was a good plan until I got sick and spent a good bit of the weekend in bed.

Anyway, on Monday evening I cut all my pattern pieces and started pinning the first few steps of the pattern together.

I did make one little adjustment to the bodice - I added a few extra inches to the bottom of the bodice pieces.  My normal problem with tops/dresses with seams under the bust line is that they are always too short for me and end up cutting me right through the center of my bust. 
 I'm hoping that the extra inches added solves this problem and doesn't cause me any other issues with the pattern.  I don't really see why it will, but it really is my luck that it would mess something up.   I guess we'll see when it's finished :)

Tonight, I was able to get the entire bodice piece put together.

schoolhousetunic_bodice_web

What do you think so far? (please ignore that skirt that is still pinned to my dress form - it's still waiting to be hemmed)

The next step is the sleeves and attaching them to the bodice...  I'll share step by step until I get this finished - hopefully over the weekend at the latest so that I can wear this sometime soon. :)

3 comments:

  1. I like it ALOT! Are you doing this as a hobby or for extra income. Do you take orders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the style of the top and I have the same problem with shop-bought clothes that there just isn't enough fabric above the empire line. Generally they sit below my bust, and then expose my bust to the world!! I need to learn to make clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha... thanks ladies! This is just for fun... I am a major novice when it comes to making clothing, especially for myself. The kids stuff just seems to always be easier. This is a first venture for me. I've made maybe one other top for myself before, and maybe a few skirts and such. That's it. This is actually the first top I've attempted (for myself) that has sleeves too. I'm very interested in how this comes out. The sleeves have been giving me some issues today...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...