Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Schoolhouse Tunic - part 2.1

Sleeves...
I've never made a top for myself with sleeves on it before.  The only sleeves I think I've ever done on my children's clothing has been the little simple things on the peasant top that I just recently made.

Sleeves are a little scary.

I started working on the sleeves of my tunic tonight - it was the next step in the pattern.  The instructions looked simple enough (run a few basting stitches, pull a small gather, pin sleeve to top and sew) so I figured I'd be able to get this done fairly quickly. (I had spent a good bit of time just browsing on the web tonight but I really wanted to make some progress on my top)

The basting was simple, as expected.

Then I went to pin my sleeve to the bodice piece.  I read instructions over and over but for whatever reason, I could not make my sleeve line up with the edges of the bodice.  The bodice was too long - so the gathering on the sleeve was really pretty pointless - I had to un-gather everything to get it to fit most of the way around.

I went ahead and stitched the sleeve on, then stitched the sleeve underneath and closed up one side of the bodice - but as I sit here looking at it, I'm afraid that I'm going to have some seam ripping to do.

The biggest problem I think is that the sleeve piece seems like it should have been larger.  I'm pretty sure that I cut out the correct size pattern piece so I'm not really sure why it's an issue.

I'm going to think on this a bit and figure out what really should be done with this.  Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...